Tuesday, July 1, 2008

HOW I FEEL ABOUT FAMILIES

I have really been pondering and thinking about families lately. And then on Sunday, Relief Society and Priesthood were combined.


The lesson was on the Worldwide Leadership Training Meeting on Feb 9, 2008.


It was just what I needed to hear.


Elder Oaks
Part of that vision is to realize that God has given these, His children, the power of choice. And the time comes in their maturity when they have to make choices and be accountable for them.
It’s always so unfortunate when parents carry a burden of guilt throughout their adult lives for every decision their children have made. We never, never, never give up. And we’re responsible to teach correct principles and do all we can with love and persuasion and so on. All of these are priesthood principles for the exercise of family as well as Church authority. But in the last analysis, I say to my fellow adult parents and grandparents, keep praying, keep trying, but set down that large burden of guilt because people given the power of choice are going to make wrong choices. Sometimes the only way people can learn is to make a choice and see the consequence of it, and then we rely on the incredible power of Atonement of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. And there are hardly any sins we can commit in mortality that can’t, on proper principles, be forgiven through the power of the Atonement of our Lord




And this thought is from me, that we need to forgive each other realizing that none of us are perfect, that we are all trying, hopefully the best we can. We all learn and progress in different ways and on different timetables. Can we all just be a little kinder to each other?



So, here are a few of my thoughts. Makes me feel better!

4 comments:

Raelyn Austin said...

That is so true! Love you Mom

Teri said...

I love that I'm so glad that you shared that. Especially as a mom, sometimes I worry that my little guy just isn't getting it or wonder if I'm doing enough. I guess we need to realize we are doing the best we can.

Chani said...

I appreciate your very sincere comment. It is so true! You are doing a great job!

Nate said...

Good to see you blogging again! Good thoughts on this post by the way.